Monday, June 28, 2010

A Day of Celebration and Mourning

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Ahhh Sunday evening back home from a busy day. Today, not a typical quiet sunday, my band is playing a wedding reception. We journey off to a small and i mean SMALL town , a town i know little about. We get to this anti-bellum mansion-turned-special events center,set up our gear and as per usual in most wedding receptions, we have some time to kill, not to mention the whole "fish outta water" thing on two levels...well A. ya dont know anybody...or at least I didnt. And 2 playing outside during the day is a total 180 of what we're accustomed to. Me? Gimme the dark smoky bars filled with loud, bad breathed barflies and hoochi coochie mamas...well it's all in how they dress. Anyway so after set-up, we have a little time to kill as i said , so I venture out for food. I hear there's a local Dairy Queen just down the road , so off I go. Well, upon arrival , the sign reads, "Store Closed Happy Retirement Sandra"...or whatever her name was. I bet if she knew there was a hungry guy out there just dying for a "Scrumpdillicious" burger she'd make one for me...ehh.. maybe not. So, i head back down the road. Basically it's a country road with various livestock and breeds of horses and the occasional goat or three. My radio station is going in and out but i get enough of it to listen . And the sunshine darts in and out of the tree lined street. As I'm passing all the farms and open lands and rolling hills, I wonder about the locals here, seeing as I dont really know the area . Do they farm here? Do they have really good jobs in a nearby town? are they rich? Still, it's a nice place. I wouldnt mind planting some roots in a podunk small country town where nothing happens...my own version of Mayberry....and i dont mean podunk in a bad way. Where the air seems fresher and life is almost at a standstill, and all you hear at night is the sound of crickets, whipporwills, and frogs in the distance. Ok so, now I'm a pretty good distance away, so I find a safe place to turn my mammoth of a truck around. Heading back the way I came, I get a different perspective on this new land I've just discovered. Getting my mind back to business at hand as I approach town, I come to the traffic light where I'm to turn. I see a police cruiser going slow with it's lights on coming my way. I soon realize, I'm entering the route of a funeral. I pull over and observe people behind me who've done the same. I turn down my radio , like that matters cuz my windows are up. I sit there and notice the headlights on the vehicles coming by me at the slow pace and thinking "Wow this guy had a lot of friends and is going for his last ride". As the "parade" ends , i get back to my destination and regroup with my bandmates and we commence to "do our thang" , playing classic rock music for family & friends of the bride & groom, at the same time somewhere , somebody is going into the ground for eternity. Funny how life works sometimes. I just hope the person being buried lived a long ,satisfying life and that the bride & groom live long and prosper. For me? Well , at first I was dreading the whole day but after it happened , I'm glad I went along for the ride and also, I wanna say to my bandmates , I love you guys. Tomorrow's monday and yet begins a new work week and as bad as i hate it,..."it" being monday and having to go back to work, I love the life I have, the people I'm around, the parents I have and most of all my wife. Why did i write all this? Hell i dont know but it felt good and it gave ya something to read.
I'll talk to ya later. Jerr~

No comments:

Post a Comment